Saturday, May 8, 2010

Tot School - Goodnight Moon






Tot School
Sprout is 22 months old

Goodnight Moon

This week we focused on Goodnight Moon.  While I was trying to map out our themes for the next few weeks, I started looking for books to fit the themes.  As I was doing this, I decided to make a book the theme instead.  I think this was great for this week, and am looking forward to continuing this.

Tot Trays
This Tot Trays we did this week were:
There were more (different trays) laid out for Sprout to use, but this is what she ended us doing this week.

I made a Goodnight Moon Tot Pack for Sprout.  Check out the Tot Pack and Trays page to see more than what I'm showing you here.  I made a coloring book that went along with the book.  There were a couple other activities too.  Including a pairs matching game which I'm sorry I don't have pictures of, and without the tennis racket from last week Sprout wasn't that interested in.




I also put out some stickers for Sprout to use, and I included a paper to start our counting practice.  This was the first actual activity we did that was a "counting activity."  Normally, I integrate it into everything else, but for this one it was the skill.  This is Sprout's final product.  (That is before she found it again a couple days later and pulled the stickers off.)

After she finished I let her put stickers on a different paper.



While she enjoyed doing that, she found other more interesting uses for the stickers.

Sprout also found her Color Wonder markers and coloring book (which I normally have on hand for restaurants).  And wanted to color.




Projects

To go along with Goodnight Moon, we made a "bowl full of mush."


This was actually oatmeal playdough (a bit sticky, but perfect for mush).  It was 2 parts oatmeal, 1 part flour, and 1 part water.  This was a great playdough recipe to make with Sprout because it didn't involve heat or boiling water.  (Notice she didn't mind getting her hands in this mess!)

Note (5/10/10) - When I went to set up this week's Tot Trays I noticed that some of the "mush" was overflowing out of the container I put it in.  I tried to just get rid of the hardened part and realized that it stank!  If you make this dough, just be sure not to keep it around too long.

We also painted a red balloon, using a comb.  Sprout didn't love using the comb because she got paint on her fingers.  So we moved on to a paintbrush and she was much happier.  This was our stART project for this week.




Sprout also had a great time using her favorite dot markers.  I got this page from Making Learning Fun.


I was very proud of her for actually "dotting" in the dots.


And of course we wore the tops on our fingers.


Practical Play

This week Sprout thought she would help me with our Challah.  I had already put everything through the bread machine (yes, I cheat) while she napped.  So all that was left when she woke up was to braid it.  I'm sorry I don't have a picture of my part of the product.

Just like my challah, she made 3 different parts.


Not like my challah, she thought that they would make a great beard/chin guard when mushed all together.



We also made a Mothers' Day card for Bubbie (my grandmother => Sprout's Great-Grandmother).

After a variety of failed ideas, on my end.  This was our final product for the card.












Next Week

Next week we will be doing Laura Numeroff's books If You Give a Mouse a Cookie  and If You Give a Pig a Pancake Big Book.

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)    If You Give a Pig a Pancake Big Book (If You Give...)

Hope you all had a great week!  To see what other Tots were up to this week go to 1+1+1=1.

10 comments:

  1. Love the tot pack. Good Night Moon is one of our favorites over here.

    Following you from Mom loop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi..I’m Barb….I am from New Friend Friday.. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such a great job on the tot pack! Thank you for sharing it. Love what Sprout did with the stickers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great week. I love the bowl full of mush.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun! Nice job on the tot pack :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the book theme and the bowl full of mush is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun week. Can't wait to see next weeks ideas. I love the "If you Give A..." books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. I am planning on making more Tot Packs for books as we continue. If there is anything you would like to see, let me know! I would love to help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! I love making these activities. I am looking forward to making some more. If there is a book or theme that interests you, please let me know. I would love to help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great theme. I'm definitely going to have to do a Goodnight Moon theme with the kiddos. I haven't done preschool around a book yet, but I'm loving the ideas i'm seeing. Have you read the O my Gosh, Mrs. McNosh books? My 4 and 2 year old love them. Now you've got me wanting to go and look through our favorite books and see how I can build a theme around them. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message. I love "talking" with other adults.

SwagBucks

Search Amazon