Sunday, April 11, 2010

Yom HaShoah

Indifference, to me, is the epitome of evil. - Elie Weisel

Today is Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day).  Honestly, I have spent all day trying to find a way to address this topic.  It's not one I take lightly.  Though I am not a descendant of survivors I have many friends who are and have learned with some amazing survivors.  In fact, I have the pleasure of saying I heard Elie Weisel read from the Torah (Hebrew Bible).  It was such an amazing experience to be in the same room with such a man as he enabled all of us to take part in the commandment of listening to the Torah.  

I have taken many classes on the Holocaust and read many books.  
NIGHT     Dawn     I Never Saw Another Butterfly     Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl    

I've always felt this need to learn as much as I can about this time period in history.  Probably because like many others I'm a strong believer in "If you don't learn from the past, you'll be doomed to repeat it."  

As a result, I try to live my life in the most tolerant way possible.  I believe everyone has the same rights and abilities.  There are occasions when I feel that I am not living up to level I believe I should be at, but I try my best.  I guess that's all I can ask, but when I find myself failing, I push myself to try that much harder.

Yom HaShoah is about reflection.  Photographer Scott L. Sakansky has a site entitled Images for Reflection.  I urge you to take a look and reflect in your own way. 

I also think you should check out The Angel Forever's post for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message. I love "talking" with other adults.

SwagBucks

Search Amazon